Oregon State University

PI Transfer -Transferring a Grant

When a Principal Investigator (PI) of an externally funded federal grant changes institutions, a decision is made about whether the grant stays at the current institution or is transferred to the new institution. Because the grant award is made to the institution and not to the PI, there must be agreement with appropriate individuals as to where the grant will ultimately reside.

If the decision is to change the grantee organization to the new home of the PI, the request must be made prior to the anticipated start date at the new organization, and preferably several months in advance. Failure to provide timely notification may result in disapproval of the request or a delay in processing.

If the decision is to leave the grant award at the current organization, the sponsoring agency must be notified immediately with a request for change in responsible PI. This correspondence may include a request to re-budget part of the award as a sub-grant to the new organization of the former PI for continued work and collaboration on the project.
Contracts and other agreements (Federal, non-Federal or Federal pass-through) will have very specific instructions. Please work with Sponsored Programs to determine what steps need to be taken.

Transferring a grant to or from OSU : Guidelines

Contact Info

Office of Sponsored Programs
Research Office
Oregon State University
B308 Kerr Administration
Corvallis, OR 97331
Phone 541-737-4933
Fax 541-737-3093
Copyright ©  2014 Oregon State University

Office for Commercialization and Corporate Development

Office of Research Integrity

Incentive Programs